Editor John Avery - member Southampton Heritage Federation -  City of Southampton Society [Honorary Life Member]- Friends of Town Quay Park - Devon Family History Society - Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery [co-founder] [Honorary Life Member] - National Federation of Cemetery Friends - Huguenot Society of Britain and Ireland- The Southampton Fryatt Plaque [co-founder]
Copyright 2018
   Home      Heritage Notes

A new dry dock for a new era                       

John Avery

The world’s largest dry dock was opened at Southampton on 26th July 1933 when the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert with King George V and Queen Mary on board broke a red, white and blue ribbon stretched across the entrance as she sailed into the dock.

The new graving dock built to accommodate the new Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth had cost more than £2,000,000, it was part of the Southern Railways £13,000 000 dock extension scheme and constituted a remarkable achievement in the history of British engineering. The dock was 12,000 feet in length capable of holding 260,000 gallons of water. The sea was kept back by a huge steel gates weighing 4,000 tons. Two million tons of rubble had to be removed and the project took two years creating welcome employment in those lean years of the 30’s. There were four pumps built to empty the  dock in just over 4 hours and accommodation was built to house up to 1200 men for canteen and toilet facilities. The first ship to use the dock was White Star’s Majestic in 1934.

During WW II British commandoes trained there in preparation for the daring raid on Saint Nazaire when HMS Campeltown packed with explosives was used to ram the heavily fortified dry dock in France.

An engineer friend who served on the Queen Elizabeth recalled the horrific event when they had difficult in opening a port light early one morning when the ship was in the dry dock and they found that a dock worker had misjudged the edge of the dock at night and the dead men and his cycle were wedged between the hull and the granite wall of the dock.

During the seamen’s strike of 1966 the Queen Mary was dry docked for several months in the KG V or No 7 dry dock as it was also known. Thieves took the opportunity to steal a huge silver platter that had been presented by the British Insurers Association when the ship was launched in 1935. Down river the Queen Elizabeth berthed at 105/6 berth for the duration of the strike and the warm outflow of discharge water crossing from Marchwood Power Station caused serious erosion problems as the discharge ran by the hull for the long weeks of the strike.

ABP leased out the dry dock to ship repairers and after the demise of some of the British repairers starved of capital during a period of nationalization and huge competition from foreign yards subsidised by their national governments, the dock was unused for sometime. ABP claimed that it was too expensive to renew the gates and removed them and now part of the dock is used as storage for timber. Our great liners and cruise ships apart from being built abroad return to continental yards for refits and where we led the world in the 30’s our ship building and repair facilities are now very small scale. The nearest repair yard is at Falmouth or on the Tyne.

 Why not visit companion websites?




    the Mayor showing WWII weaponry at the Southampton Maritime Festival May 2013 Image Ann MacGillivray
                                                                                                                                          The Mayor at the Southampton Maritime Festival
        image Ann MacGillivray

                                              Southampton WW II
 Southampton was bombed badly during WW II apart from the port and shipping there were several sites were aircraft were being assembled including the Spitfire works at Woolston.  The large cold store in the Western Docks where imports of meat, poultry, lard and butter were stored received direct hits and the fire lasted for several days.
Jake Simpkin, Blue Badge Guide and heritage presenter gives an interesting talk on the blitz and preparations for D Day.

  During the 1960's when new roads and a new city shopping centre were being developed the bulldozer was king and many buildings of character and interest were swept away. In particular East Street was flatted and as was the practice rows of dull shops were lined up either side serving a useful commercial purpose but do little to create a memorable frontage. One wit scrawled some graffiti on a board suggesting what Hitler had missed, Southampton Council would soon finish off.



Calshot Spit Light Vessel makes its move

by Angela Smith

[Article by permission Southampton Heritage Federation]

After many postponements since April – and a final delay from October 25th to the following week – LV78 was unloaded at its temporary home by Berth 49 in Southampton’s Eastern Docks just after midday on November 4th 2011.

 The original plan was that the two 500-ton Baldwin’s cranes would be ready on the evening of the 2nd to start the lift early on the 3rd, to inconvenience the users of Ocean Village as little as possible, but a last-minute delay on the evening of the 2nd due to poor light meant that the cranes were rigged in the morning – taking about 1½ hours each – and the ‘lift’ took place about 12.45 onto a very long, 16-axled, transporter from Leicester Heavy Haulage. After a slow move along Ocean Way and into the docks, the transporter reached an overnight stop just short of the Ocean Terminal at around 4pm.

  The initial site work had been undertaken by Dive Technologies from Weymouth, who had also constructed the cradle onto which the vessel was lowered. The three companies, plus vehicles and staff from South West Crane Hire, must be congratulated for the almost flawless task, the only minor hitch being a trapped strop which caused a delay of about an hour while wedges were inserted between the vessel and the cradle.    
Apart from Alan Jones – who was trying to be everywhere at once – Jeff Pain, Nigel and I were on traffic marshalling duties from 7am, later joined by John Avery who came along to see what was happening and was soon issued with a hi-viz vest! Marshals, including Solent Sky volunteers, were given a thorough briefing the previous evening which also included a ‘walk-through’ of the route. Nik Boulting and Jenny Hopkins from Aeronautica’s London consultants RWDP not only drove down to attend this, but also
assisted on the 3rd by providing the volunteers with very welcome drinks and were on site on the 4th to witness the unloading, That’s dedication!

 Radio Solent’s Lucy Morgan made two visits to broadcast ‘live’ on the 3rd, Ben Moore from BBC-TV South attended with a film crew and there were reporters from the Southern Daily Echo and Yachting Monthly.

It was a poignant operation for Baldwin’s crane supervisor ‘Bev’ Hitchcock as he had been one of the crane drivers when the light vessel was lifted out in January 1989, and he was retiring on November 4th.

To the amazement of the volunteers who had raised funds and worked so hard on the project ABP announced in 2012 that the area designated for the project would be passed to Red Funnel for a new terminal facility.

The Calshot Spit Light Vessel, the tug tender Calshot and other vessels and preparations for a tram workshop will be looking for an alternative location which is creating a major concern


Image courtesy of Nigel Smith Southampton Heritage Federation

The Southampton Heritage Federation
president Dereck Burke
chairman Marian Hubble
secretary Angela Smith contact
treasurer Nigel Smith
membership secretary Angela Smith
The Federation has members both as formal societies and individuals interested in heritage. It meets regularly with SCC officers and councillors and landowners such as Associated British Ports.

  image courtesy yachting

        When you could sentence a man for 25 years for stealing a car

In April 2011 our mayor Councillor Carol Cunio was on board a visiting RN nuclear submarine when a rating opened fire on some officers. Councillor Cunio helped to administer 1st aid to a wounded officer. A trawl through the archives showed that this was not the first occasion that a mayor had been involved in a headline raising event as this report from 1946 demonstrates.

The Mayor of Southampton* joined in the siege of two escaped American military prisoners who knocked out a guard, seized a carbine and 15 rounds of ammunition and then ran up a ladder to the top of the municipal building, where they defied the pursuers.

The Mayor scaled an iron ladder at the base the adjoining clock- tower and called on the fugitives to surrender but they ignored him. The Civic Centre was surrounded by armed American Military Police and the Southampton Police. A dance in the Guildhall and a women's meeting in Civic Centre went on with an armed guard at the door while the chase went on over the roof.

One of the escaped men a few hours earlier had been sentenced to 25 years hard labour for car theft.

The men were recaptured after four hours. One was slightly wounded when shots were fired after they refused to surrender.

[*There were two mayors during 1946, Reginald James Stranger 0723 and Frederick Stewart Smith 0724 but the newspaper report did not name the mayor.]

Dudley Heal DFM -Dambuster

“Until very close to the operation we were flying at 150ft, but then we were suddenly told that the bomb was to be dropped at 60ft - apparently, that was the best height to achieve its purpose. So we all went to the bar and had a drink. Sixty feet! I ask you!”

 Dudley was born in Portsmouth in 1916. A member of the RAFVR. he volunteered for  war service in 1940 and trained as a navigator. At Kinloss he teamed up with members of the Royal Canadian Air Force, Grant McDonald, Steve Oancia and Ken Brown. At first they were posted to St Eval in Cornwall on anti submarine patrols but in February 1943 the seven men crew joined 44 Squadron. That was but a short appointment as in March they were transferred to the newly created 617 Squadron [later to take the nickname The Dambusters].

Pilot Officer Ken Brown had several run ins with Squadron Leader Guy Gibson and his character varied somewhat to the portrayal by the actor Richard Todd in the 1955 film. One example was at a briefing the door was left ajar and one crew member slipped to the back to close it again and Gibson judged him to have arrived late for the briefing, He was put on a charge and after operations often lasting 15 to 18 hours his punishment was to clean the windows in the mess and ops room before getting his sleep. Gibson was very class aware and treated non commissioned ground crew with disregard. He insisted on always being saluted even if they were in the midst of lifting heavy machinery. The film portrayal of Richard Todd engaging in a bit of horseplay in the mess was far from reality, he was aloof and lacked inter personal skills.

 Ken Brown and his crew were directed to fly one of the five reserve aircraft and their mission was to fly past the main target dams to hit the Sorpe Dam. Their mine was on target creating a huge plume of water but insignificant to breach the dam. Dudley’s role as navigator was without any vision of any landmarks or stars and relied very much on a commentary from the bomb aimer Steve Oancia.

 Many aircraft and crew were lost in the raid but the shock reaction to the enemy that the RAF was capable of mounting such an attack in the German heartland was deemed a sufficient compensation for the losses.

 Dudley Heal’s logbook notes that during his service with 617 Squadron he made three operational bombing raids in a 24 hour period. The life expectancies of bomber crews were extremely short and understandably losing close friends each night and avoiding death each flight had its consequences. A few were on the verge of mental breakdowns and what we now describe as post dramatic stress. The RAF however classed men who had risked their lives sometimes several times a week who could no longer face the trauma as LMF cases [Lacking Moral Fibre] a way of describing cowardice.

 By irony both the Canadian McDonald and Dudley Heal were both the take the same career paths after WWII. Grant joined the customs service in Vancouver and Dudley served with Customs and Excise at Southampton.

 Dudley seldom mentioned his war service but did used to go the occasional Dambuster reunions and with his surviving colleagues had been special guests of honour at the film premiere.

The Southampton Strike. [8 / 9th September 1890]

Strike Riots in Southampton.
Following the London Dock Strike of 1889, a result of which the dockers demand of the rate of 6d per hour was met ["The Docker's Tanner"] unrest developed in Southampton the following year. Toward the end of August the Dock Company and the majority of ship owners recognised the "Docker's Tanner" but the Royal Mail line, notorious for its low rates of wages refused to join the settlement. As a result a strike was called and it lasted from 8th to 15th September. The strike extended to the seamen and firemen, and to the coal, corn, and general porters, with the result that the trade of the port was completely paralysed. The cause of the strike was the refusal of the masters to recognise the Dockers' Union, and the fact that while the Dock Company had consented to give the rate of 6d by day and 7d by night, they were taking on permanent hands at a guinea a week. Pickets were posted on the roadway between the railway and the docks to prevent trains passing. The driver from a Dock Company's engine, who attempted to cross the road, was pulled off, and his locomotive backed into the station. As the result of an interview between the Watch Committee and the representatives of the strikers, the latter agreed to allow the mails and the passengers for American liners to pass into the docks, the Mayor undertaking that no non-unionists should enter the docks on Monday night. Steamers with perishable cargoes could not be unloaded.
On Tuesday, Sept. 9, the strike asaumed serious proportions. The dockers, and those associated with them, refused to allow any provisions to be taken into the docks, and stopped all railway traffic except that for the Isle of Wight. In the afternoon the Mayor telegraphed for military assistance, and two hundred and fifty men of the Yorkshire Regiment were dispatched from Gosport. The soldiers soon cleared Canute Road, close to the railway station, which had been held by the mob. Later on fire engines were brought out and water thrown on the people, causing many to disperse. Late at night an attack was made on the Mayor's business establishment, the windows of which were smashed. The Riot Act was read twice by the Mayor and the troops fixed bayonets and cleared the streets, not, however, until two or three people were wounded. The crowd attacked the soldiers with stones, and Lieut. Abercrombie had the bridge of his nose broken, and was conveyed to the South Western Hotel, and two privates were carried away injured. Mr. Cunningham Graham, M.P., and Mr. Michael Davitt were telegraphed  by the strike leaders for assistance. On Wednesday the strike developed to such an extent that the officer in charge of the military already in the town  telegraphed for more troops. A further detachment of 250 officers and men of the Yorkshire Light Infantry soon after arrived. During the evening, as the crowds would not disperse, the soldiers charged with fixed bayonets, and in this way the streets were cleared. An attempt of the strikers to intercept incoming vessels, and induce their crews to join in the strike, was frustrated by the Admiralty sanctioning the employment of naval patrols from Her Majesty's ship Invincible, and by sending two gunboats into Southampton Water.
The employers issued a manifesto inviting the men to resume work, but declining to employ union workmen only.
The national executives of the Dockers' and Seamens' Unions refused to make the strike official or to pay strike money to the strikers. The defeated men returned to work, one accurately summing up the situation " I had to face the police one day, and the soldiers the next, but on Saturday night I had to face the old woman, and that was the worst of all!”

A cure for smallpox [1887]


SIR,-I was glad to see the reference to cream of tartar for small-pox by your cor respondent, " M.A.H." A friend of mine, living at Southampton, knowing of this remedy, regularly visited a district of that town where small-pox was prevalent, carrying with him a bottle of the mixture. In every case, (and they were many) the patient rapidly recovered. If the patient was very ill and delirious he altered the formula by mixing 1 oz. of cream of tartar into one pint of  boiling milk, and giving the whey as hot as the patient could drink it. The one dose was usually sufficient. The recovery wai.wy rapid, the pox dying off almost immediately. The prescription as given by " M.A.H." utterly prevents the disease appearing. My friend, though constantly visiting the houses and in unable in that way way isolating himself, neither had it, nor yet his family, through their taking an occasional dose.

Yours, etc.,

J. P.

October 14. 1887

Charlie Knott's Stadium
Greyhound racing Ticket 1944 courtesy Joe Mann [USA]
Note as this was during WWII a warning was given on the Greyhound Racing ticket that a Spotter would be employed to warn the clientele and greyhound owners if an enemy aircraft was seen overhead. I am most grateful to Joe Mann [USA] for sending this to me.
Charlie Knott introduced greyhound racing to this country from the USA. In the depression years of the 30's, horse racing was seen as the rich man's sport so greyhound racing soon spread to many towns in the UK.
Charlie Knott also ran a speedway track and an ice rink which was based nearby to the Cricket Ground.

 Hue and Cry

By the Statute of Winchester of 1285,13 Edw. I cc. 1 and 4, it was provided that anyone, either a constable or a private citizen, who witnessed a crime shall make hue and cry, and that the hue and cry must be kept up against the fleeing criminal from town to town and from county to county, until the felon is apprehended and delivered to the sheriff.

CHARLES GOULD, 18 years, was indicted for stealing, on the 5th of September 1837, at St. Andrew, Holborn, 3 bags, value 1s.; 1 cash-box, value 7s.; 1 watch, value 3l.; 1 seal, value 2l.; 135 sovereigns, 10 half-sovereigns, 10 half-crowns, 60 shillings, 80 sixpences, 1 bill of exchange for £5., and 1 £5 bank-note, the goods, monies, and property of Thomas Beard, his master, in his dwelling-house.

 Gould was apprehended at Southampton by Constable Terry.

WILLIAM TERRY. I am a constable of Southampton. In consequence of what I saw in the Hue and Cry [a journal] I went, on Sunday evening, the 1st of October, and found the prisoner at a public-house—I examined his hand, and found a mark in it, as described in the Hue and Cry—he told me his right name after some hesitation—I took him into a private room and told him I wanted him for robbing his master of a sum of money—he made no answer, but was quite sullen—I told him to turn out his pockets—he produced several articles on the table—I said to him, "Give me the watch you have got in your pocket;" and he handed the watch I now produce—I said, "That is your master's watch, is it not?" and he said "Yes, it is—he appeared quite sober—he appeared to be fumbling about his side-pocket—I told him I thought him a bad hand at searching pockets, and I must come and assist him—I was in the act of getting up (being on the opposite side of the table,) and going over to him, when I saw him draw a pistol from his left-hand coat pocket—I immediately rushed on him and threw him across a chair—he said, "Stand off, stand off!" that was after he produced the pistol—I seized him by the right hand—he held the pistol in his left; and in making a catch at his hand I caught hold of a waterman's hand, who was standing there; and during that time the pistol went off—I judge it was intended to be pointed at me—it went off, and passed my head and the head of the waterman, who dropped his head, and said "Oh Lord!"—it was a percussion pistol—the pieces of the cap flew over my face, and I think the powder came in my face, for I was quite stunned with it—the charge lodged over the mantel-piece—it was a ball—I wrenched the pistol out of his hand; and my son, who sat opposite, said, "Father he has got another pistol"—I immediately drew it out of his pocket—both were double-barrelled pistols, and the three barrels were all loaded with ball, besides the one discharged—they were all capped and cocked—I found 5s. 6d. on him—I asked him what he had done with the seal—he said he had given it to a girl, whom he described—I found she was a girl of the town from Portsmouth, and I got the seal from her—I asked him what he had done with the gold—he said he had spent it—he told me his master's cash-box was in the corn-bin—I took him before the Magistrate afterwards, and brought him to London.

Gould was found guilty and transferred to Newgate Jail pending transportation for 15 years.. With 269 fellow convicts he was transported on the Bengal Merchant, leaving for New South Wales on 24 March 1838. The average sentence of the prisoners aboard was for 10 years and 23 of the prisoners were committed to sentences of life imprisonment. The above average sentence would reflect the use of firearms during the arrest at Southampton.

Southampton Tourist Guides Association

Southampton Tourist Guides Association (S.T.G.A.) consists of currently 33 guides based in and around Southampton.  All the guides are specially trained and qualified holders of Blue or Green Southern Tourist Board badges.  It is understood to be the only official tour guiding organisation in Southampton.  The association has been established for over 40 years. 

   S.T.G.A. conducts walking tours of Southampton lasting between 1.5 to 2 hours.  Each tour starts at 11.00 am from south Bargate.  The current cost is £3.00 per head, but accompanied children under 16 are free. 

 July and September 2011 walks take place every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday

During the winter months from October onwards these Heritage walks are on Sundays only.

For August, there are a series of special daily themed walks.

Sundays the usual West Heritage walk in which visitors get to go in various places not normally open to the public such as Catchcold Tower and Undercroft.

Mondays Southampton during World War II

Tuesdays a walk entitled Perils and Plots

Wednesdays: A selection of Southampton Vaults, again to which the public don't normally have access.

Thursdays: Jane Austen and the Spa period

Fridays: Medieval Churches and the Friary

 Saturdays: Titanic connections.

  Private group walks such as for schools or societies may be arranged through our Booking Secretary to suit individual requirements of time, date, duration, and subject.

 Coach tour guides for the Hampshire / New Forest area by arrangement

 The services are utilised for Meet and Greet of cruise ship passengers

  During the darker evenings the association presents illustrated talks on a wide variety of subjects.  Speakers include Jill Daniels, Jake Simpkin. Don Bryan and Eric Payne-Danson. 

For any further enquiries relating to any of the above, please refer to the web site or contact the Booking Secretary on 023 8057 1858 during office hours or Eric Payne- Danson on 023 8047 7728

S.S Mendi - the loss of troops and crew commemorated at Hollybrook Cemetery

The Mendi was on charter from her owners Elder Dempster to the British government as a troop ship.

The black native community in South Africa had willingly volunteered to fight for the mother country and had joined the South African Native Labour Corps.

On 16th January 1917 the ship left Capetown calling at Lagos with the destination of Le Havre. She carried 805 black privates, 5 white officers and 17 NCO’s.

On the morning of 21st February the S.S. Darro travelling at full speed and emitting no warning signals rammed the Mendi amidships. The Darro hoved to about ½ mile off. The Darro made no effort to lower her life boats or to assist in anyway. An escort destroyer HMS Brisk took on the role of picking up survivors but as very few of the men could swim it was mainly dead bodies being piled onto the deck. The captain and crew of the Darro did not raise a finger to help.

The Reverend Isaac Wauchope Dyobha loudly sang words of comfort to support the dying men and was heard calling out "Be quiet and calm, my countrymen, for what is taking place is exactly what you came to do. You are going to die, but that is what you came to do.

"Brothers, we are drilling the death drill. I, a Xhosa, say you are my brothers. Zulus, Swazis, Pondos, Basothos and all others, let us die like warriors. We are the sons of Africa. Raise your war cries my brothers, for though they made us leave our assegais back in the kraals, our voices are left with our bodies."

 607 black troops and 33 crew members were lost in the icy waters off the Isle of Wight. The Darro suffered no casualties.

Eyewitness stories of the bravery exhibited by the doomed men aboard the SS Mendi have become legendary. The most famous story is that of the death dance the men performed as the ship went down.

The Inquiry into the collision found the captain of the Darro, Henry W Stump, to be at fault for "having travelled at a dangerously high speed in thick fog, and of having failed to ensure that his ship emitted the necessary fog sound signals." The captain of the Darro had his licence suspended for a year. His failure to render assistance to the Mendi's survivors was publicly criticised at the Inquiry.

THE Duke of Kent, President of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, visited Southampton Hollybrook Cemetery on 19th February 2013 to unveil the latest information panels put in place by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The cemetery contains 113 burials from the First World War and 186 burials from the Second World War.

It also contains the Hollybrook Memorial, which commemorates by name almost 1,900 servicemen and women of the Commonwealth land and air forces whose graves are not known. There are panels of names of those lost on the Mendi.

Each of the panels carries information about the site of the cemetery or memorial, and the reason why it is situated where it is.

But each panel also carries a QR (Quick Response) code which when scanned with a Smartphone provides access to further information, including the personal stories of some of the casualties buried or commemorated at the location.

The QR code at Hollybrook tells more about Lord Kitchener, who is commemorated on the memorial there. 

HRH Duke of Kent president of CWGC at Hollybrook Cemetery image Ann MacGillivray

CWGC information board at Hollybrook Cemetery image Ann MacGillivray

CWGC Cross of Sacrifice at Hollybrook Cemetery image Ann MacGillivray

Memorial plaques at Hollybrook Cemetery image Ann MacGillivray

Commemoration of the Leprosy Hostel which was sited in Southampton

 Records show that we had a leprosy hostel in the town and to the best of estimates it was sited near where later stood the C&A shop in the 20th C. It was under the jurisdiction of the Priory at St Denys and was known as Mary Magdalene which over the years became known as Marlands. We assume that burials took place in adjacent common land probably at the junction with the present day Above Bar Street and Commercial Road at the entrance to Watts Park.
Southampton resident Jill Ghanouni, known to many of us for her community liaison work at a local hospital, is secretary of the British branch of the New Hope Rural Leprosy Trust.
There was a small stainless steel roundel hardly noticeable on the stone pier of the entrance to the Park. It was placed there about 20 years ago and has weathered badly. Jill thought that the Indian community would like to join with other community and heritage groups to place a more prominent plaque [and remove the one there currently].

 The plaque that originally was in place was badly located and difficult to read the detail. Image Jill Ghanouni
Jill with the support of the Mayor Councillor Derek Burke and the Sheriff Councillor Jacqui Rayment organised a replacement plaque. Jill took advice on the history of the hostel from Dr Andy Russel head of SCC Archaeology and Museums. An informal committee with John Avery representing CoSS, Graham Linecar representing SCAPPS, John Horton representing SCC Parks and Open Spaces and David Singh Roath representing the Asian ethnic communities met to discuss the plan. An agreed form of wording and further addition of a small herb garden representing a physic garden traditionally used by monks plus a information display panel as a form of treatment was the result.

  The Mayor, Councillor Derek Burke and the Mayoress Mrs Christina Burke  agreed to unveil the plaque on 2nd October 2012.
The new plaque placed on 2nd October 2012. Image Will Temple.
The plaque unveilling ceremony. Image Will Temple
The new plaque unveilled. Image Will Temple

On 10th May 2013, the second stage of the commemoration took place and the mayor Councillor Derek Burke unveiled an Information Lectern Time of Compassion.
Unveilling the lectern on 10th May 2013 image Will TempleThe Pipe Band image Will TempleImage copyright Ann MacGillivray

It is always sad to hear of another local history/ heritage group closing down, November 2016 Friends of Old Southampton decided to wind up. Founded 70 years ago it faced the familiar scene - an aging membership, lack of interested volunteers to take over the administration and no "new blood". It seems nowadays that history, conservation and heritage is taking a back seat perhaps as these societies diminish reflects the style of social activities in the 21st C.


Copyright 2011 /19  Southampton Local History   hosted by pickaweb



Lectern at RSH Hospital ChapelGuildhall courtesy Arthur JefferyCourt LeetQM2's first arrival Dec 2003Southampton Old Cemetery
Two mayors laying a wreathMayor's ParlourMural Hamtun Street SouthamptonThorners Regents Park Road
Ceremony to relay the foundation stone at the RSH Hospital in 2011Central Hall SouthamptonFriends of RSH Hospital ChapelSouthampton Art Gallery
 In the 1950's Southampton Council ran a fleet of Guy Arab buses, in fact it was the largest fleet of that marque in the UK
 A small number are lovingly cared for by amateur enthusiasts and are seen out and about from time to time.
The altar in St Julien's, the French Church in Southampton                       Site copyright 2018